The Best Newfoundland Raisin Tea Buns

Wednesday, October 3, 200711comments

The Best Newfoundland Raisin Tea Buns

Can there be any doubt that the raisin tea bun is an icon of Newfoundland cooking? It would be nearly impossible to find a single person raised in this province who's mother or grandmother did not bake this most popular of staples in the Newfoundland kitchen.

The Best Newfoundland Raisin Tea Buns
I start these in my food processor because it is so fast but they can be made just as easily in a large bowl by cutting the butter in with a pastry blender or just rubbing it into the dry ingredients using your hands like Nan did.
In a food processor, combine:

3 cups flour
¾ cup sugar
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Cut in:
¾ cup butter
until mixture resembles a fine meal. Remove to a large bowl and stir in:
1 to 1 1/2 cups raisins (light or dark, your preference)

Make a well in the center of this mixture.
Mix together:
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup undiluted evaporated milk
Pour into the well and mix only enough to form a dough ball.

The Best Newfoundland Raisin Tea BunsRoll to 1 inch thickness and cut out buns with biscuit cutter and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your biscuit cutter. This recipe makes 16 tea buns.

September 10, 2009 at 6:41 PM

Hi Barry.

I've been having a craving for tea buns lately, and no I'm preggy!! lol
I'm originally from the Rock but live in the U.S.now, and lately I've been craving some good old fashioned delights from back home. I'm going to try your recipe for these buns, so I will let you know how they turned out.

Thanks for posting this recipe. It sounds YUM!! Cheers, Robi

February 27, 2010 at 8:42 AM

Just made the raisin tea buns and they were AWESOME!!!! Even better than our family recipe. It was uber-early when I woke up craving them and I couldn't call mom for the recipe at that hour so found your site and tried them out and my husband and toddler just devoured them. Thanks so much for posting this recipe. Can't wait to look over the rest of your site now.

Charleen T.

November 11, 2011 at 8:52 AM

going to make those buns right now will post my turnout later

Lesley S.
January 24, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Made these today! They were super easy to make (even without the processor). I've never really liked raisins, so my grandmother always makes them with chocolate chips for me. I used chocolate chips in this recipe, and it turned out great! It was a great treat after playing in the snow with the kids :)

February 4, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Thanks for posting this fab recipe its so easy and time perfect! I made some today for my kiddies and they Loved them,Nothing like Hot chocolate and Tea buns on a cold winters day Ummmm thaks again! :)

Decorgirl
May 15, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Mmm! Made these today and tossed in a quarter cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips along with raisins. Turned out perfectly! Thank you for this one!

February 2, 2013 at 9:36 AM

wha???????????? no egg?????????? i looked over your other tea bun recipes and it looks like no egg in either. why no egg??????

February 2, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Nope. I've never used eggs in scones or tea buns. They will be lighter without the egg.

February 24, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Thanks going to try this recipe now

May 27, 2013 at 3:10 PM

So excited! Just put them in the oven :)

February 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Just made these tea buns. B-E-S-T E-V-E-R!!!!!!! And I used Splenda for my diabetic hubby....they are AWESOME!!!!