Apricot Raisin Cake

Friday, November 30, 201211comments

Apricot Raisin Cake
Apricot Raisin Cake

Originally published on December 8 2007
I know people from several different parts of the province who make a version of this cake at Christmas time and other special occasions. One friend even chose it as her wedding cake. I like to boil the fruit a day ahead of baking , allowing the dried fruits to soak up syrup which keeps them moist during baking and in turn assures a moist cake throughout.

In a medium saucepan combine and simmer very gently for 30 minutes:

2 cups water
½ cup sultana raisins
¼ cup sugar
12 ounces dried chopped apricots

Cool completely.

Cream until light and fluffy:

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
4 ounces cream cheese

Add 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.

Sift together

2 ½ cups flour
½ tsp baking powder

Fold half of the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture. Fold in the cooled boiled apricot mixture, followed by the remaining dry ingredients.

Bake in a greased and floured tube pan or two loaf pans at 350 degrees F for about an hour or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Baking times may vary on this recipe depending upon the amount of moisture contained in the boiled fruit mixture.

September 26, 2008 at 2:01 PM

my mom came to visit me and forgot this recipie back in St. john's. Thanks for posting! Oh and th ecake turned out beautiful! We are sending it to my husband in Afganistan! Thanks again!

December 23, 2008 at 9:33 PM

I made this for my co-workers as part of a Christmas platter. It was not in the kitchen very long so I think everyone loved it. I thought it was creamy and delicious. It could use a little more tang, though - maybe I need a more sour sour cream.

November 21, 2010 at 8:52 PM

What's with the 'sour cream'Rachel?

December 19, 2011 at 11:15 PM

Fabulous recipie!!!

February 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Absolutely LOVE this cake.....have made it several times and had great results each time. I even cut down on the calories by using half Splenda and half sugar, as well as 95% fat-free cream cheese.

November 30, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I love the tip about soaking the fruits overnight!

December 18, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Hi!
I made this cake last Christmas and it was delicious. I want to make it again, but in just one loaf pan. Can I simply halve the recipe?

December 19, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Sure thing Danelectro!

May 5, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This was my wedding cake! Mom still bakes it at christmas

Edie
December 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM

This is my favourite cake of all time. Just made it for Christmas using my Mother-in-law's recipe and noticed that she put in double the cream cheese. No wonder it is so good lol. Will be sharing this on pinterest for my family and followers. Thanks

Marjorie Tucker
April 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I love this cake and always use my aunts recipe which calls for more cream cheese, I am going to make this for the middle layer of my son's wedding cake and the cherry cake for the top layer.I will need to make the apricot cake bigger then the recipe.Hope it works good like it did before.