Blueberry Balsamic Pork Chops

Tuesday, February 19, 200811comments

Blueberry Balsamic Pork Chops

Here's one of our family favorite pork chop recipes for a quick weekday supper. Nothing beats good old wild Newfoundland blueberries in this recipe. Mine come courtesy of my father in law, Len, who more than makes up for my lack of enthusiasm for berry picking with a steady supply to my freezer.

Serves 4
  • 8 boneless center loin pork chops
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves minced garlic
  • Salt and pepper to season
  • ½ cup white wine or chicken stock
  • ½ tsp thyme
  • ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 3 tablespoons lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons butter

Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Pan fry the pork chops in the olive oil and garlic until completely cooked about 4-5 minutes per side. Hold the pork chops in a warm oven. Add the blueberries, balsamic vinegar, wine (or stock), thyme, nutmeg and brown sugar and honey. Simmer to reduce the volume of the sauce by half. Add the lemon juice and butter and simmer for an additional minute or so until the sauce slightly thickens. Season with salt and pepper to taste and spoon the sauce over the cooked pork chops.

If your blueberries are particularly juicy and especially when using frozen berries, you can thicken the sauce slightly if necessary by adding a slurry at the end made by dissolving together:

• 1 tsp corn starch
  •  1 ounce water
When using grilled pork chops instead of pan-fried just begin the sauce by lightly sauteing the garlic, then add the other ingredients as directed.

March 24, 2008 at 11:18 AM

Absoutely the best pork chops I have ever eaten. My family loved it, and it was very fast. From start to finish it was 25 minutes.

September 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM

This recipe was fantastic. It will become a staple in my house. The blueberry sauce can be used with a variety of meats, as well as a salad dressing. I left out the butter, but it was still great.

September 17, 2008 at 1:13 PM

Glad you liked it. It is already a staple at our house. I do a similar thing with partridgeberries and orange for chicken or turkey breasts. Must remember to add that to my to-do list as well.

Thanks for reading. B.

June 23, 2011 at 6:13 PM

I picked a ton of fresh blueberries at a friend's house last weekend so I've been searching for new ways to use them (pancakes & muffins are tired)...Foiund this and made it and LOVED it...Quick, easy & delicious...Thanks for posting it!

June 23, 2011 at 6:18 PM

PS...I served these with a salad dressed with blue cheese dressing (blueberries & blue cheese go very well together) & a chilled pinot grigio...yum!

July 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

My husband typically hates porkchops, but he LOVED this recipe! I was making baked zucchini fries to go with it and had extra panko breading, so I coated the chops too. Turned out very well.

August 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I just LOVE this recipe and so does my family!!! It paired wonderful with oven roasted potatoes and quinoa and salad.

August 14, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Glad they were such a success.It's been too long since I had these chops...they are going on this weeks menu for sure...just love 'em.

July 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

This was one of the easiest and most delicious meals I have ever made!! I live near The Culinary Institute of America and this is worthy enough to be served in one of their restaurants. I truly can't wait to make this again! Follow the recipe with no changes.

July 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM

I want to make this for a dinner party but I wonder if the blueberry sauce can be made ahead of time?

July 29, 2013 at 1:52 PM

No because the sauce starts with the pan drippings from the pork chops.