|Cod au Gratin|
- 3 pounds fresh cod fillets
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp savoury (dill or tarragon make good substitutions)
- 3/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup cracker crumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tsp savoury for crumbs (optional)
Scald the milk in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add the butter and flour and cook together for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the scalded milk whisking constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest, Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the Parmesan cheese just before pouring on the fish.
Arrange the fish in the bottom of a greased 9x9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes if you prefer. Pour the sauce over the fish.
Top with the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.
Mix the cracker crumbs with the olive oil (and savoury if you are using it) and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 degrees F until bubbling and the top has evenly browned. Individual gratin dishes should take about a half hour or until they are bubbling well.