Cod au Gratin

Thursday, April 3, 20089comments

Cod au Gratin
Cod au Gratin

By request for a reader who is feeling a little homesick this week. This is a pretty basic recipe but still has plenty of flavor. Hope you enjoy!

Cod au Gratin
  • 3 pounds fresh cod fillets
  • 3 tbsp butter
  • 3 tbsp flour
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
  • 1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
  • Salt and pepper to season
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp savoury (dill or tarragon make good substitutions)
  • 3/4 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
  • 1 cup cracker crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tsp savoury for crumbs (optional)

Scald the milk in the microwave for about 4-5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan add the butter and flour and cook together for 2 minutes. Slowly pour in the scalded milk whisking constantly. Cook until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the lemon zest, Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the Parmesan cheese just before pouring on the fish.

Arrange the fish in the bottom of a greased 9x9 inch baking dish or in individual gratin dishes if you prefer. Pour the sauce over the fish.
Top with the cheddar and mozzarella cheeses.

Mix the cracker crumbs with the olive oil (and savoury if you are using it) and sprinkle over the cheese. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour at 350 degrees F until bubbling and the top has evenly browned. Individual gratin dishes should take about a half hour or until they are bubbling well.

Daphne from Fort mcMurray, AB
June 22, 2011 at 1:38 AM

I make this dish at least once a week ever since I discovered this recipe last year. It is by far the very best Cod au gratin recipe EVER!!!!! Love it!!

Valerie in Okotoks, Alberta (from Bay Roberts)
December 19, 2011 at 12:28 PM

I made this last night .... all family members declared it to be the best Cod Au Gratin recipe they'd ever eaten!!! I'll be making it again VERY SOON, Barry!

February 27, 2012 at 1:58 PM

This is a fabulous recipe. The mustard gives it some zip, and I will be making this again tonight. Love!

May 24, 2012 at 5:20 PM

We've made this a number of times now and all agree this is an excellent Au Gratin! We've added mushrooms and peppers too.

January 22, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I love cod au gratin and have been craving this. One question - can I make it and reheat it the next day without sacrificing too much when it comes to the sauce? I know flour based sauces can get gluey after cooling. Any feedback would be appreciated.

January 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I don't recommend that Sarah. This will always be at it's best when cooked and served fresh.

Omar Kanouté
May 23, 2013 at 11:50 AM

Do you think the recipe would go well with haddock instead ?

May 23, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Haddock will be fine as well.

Omar Kanouté
May 23, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Thank you for the reply. I have tried it before with cod and loved it. Will give it a try with haddock and see how it turns out.
Cheers