Burgundy Beef Stew

Saturday, September 27, 200812comments

Learn to make my Perfect Popovers to go with this amazing stew at the link below and learn how they can become part of a spectacular breakfast or brunch too! http://www.nlrockrecipes.com/2011/09/perfect-popoversfor-breakfast-with.html

Burgundy Beef StewBurgundy Beef Stew

This is my favorite beef stew which I generally cook slowly in the oven rather than a stove top stew. The beef in this recipe is dredged in flour and browned which means that this stew naturally thickens as it cooks. It is a very rich and flavourful stew which starts with a red wine base that compliments all the combined flavours beautifully. We often freeze the leftovers for a later, second meal.

4 to 5 pound blade beef roast

Cut the roast into large chunks about 1 ½ inches in size. Salt and pepper the raw meat to season. Toss the beef chunks in regular flour to coat.

In a large heavy bottomed skillet heat

4 tbsp canola oil

Brown the beef chunks on all sides, working in small batches so as not to crowd your pan. When all the beef is browned transfer it to a large roaster. Add to the roaster, along with the beef:

2 cups burgundy wine (you can substitute any full bodied red wine of your choice)
4 cups low sodium beef stock
1 cup orange juice
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
4 cloves minced garlic
2 large onions, roughly chopped
1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground thyme
1 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
3 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 bay leaf

Stir all the ingredients in the roaster then cover well with aluminum foil and the roaster cover. Cook slowly in a 300 degree oven for about 1 ½ to 2 hours before adding

2 pounds carrots, cut in chunks
1 pound parsnip, cut in chunks

Return to the oven for about a half hour before adding

3 pounds baby red potatoes, washed and unpeeled

Return to the oven for about half an hour to 45 minutes or until the potatoes are nearly fork tender. Add 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen peas and cook for an additional 15 minutes. Serve with freshly baked bread, biscuits or Yorkshire pudding.

September 27, 2008 at 12:37 PM

This looks delicious - I love soups and stews in the fall and winter. I have saved this recipe ane will definately try when it cools down here. The weather people are calling for temps in the 80's (F) today!

Trish
Omaha, NE USA

September 27, 2008 at 5:17 PM

It's a beautiful sunny day here too, Trish but not that hot! Hope you enjoy the recipe and thanks for reading. Do you happen to have a Newfoundland connection or did you just stumble upon us?

Barry.

October 4, 2008 at 11:28 AM

This was probably the best stew I ever tasted! Thanks!

October 4, 2008 at 11:44 AM

Very glad you enjoyed it Lisa; I couldn't agree more! Just wait until you make it a cold stormy day in February and you'll appreciate it even more!!

Potato Chef
October 5, 2008 at 1:07 AM

The pictues looked good enough to eat. I'm going to make this beef stew next weekend...got my shopping list all ready.

October 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM

Have you ever tried making this in a slowcooker? Would it be just as good?

October 7, 2008 at 5:34 AM

Sorry, guys, surprisingly I've never even owned a slow cooker!! I'm sure it would be worth a try, though.

Ann
October 9, 2008 at 3:46 PM

This looks so good, I have to try it for dinner tonight. And Secret, the "Rock" is a nice place.

Ann
October 14, 2008 at 4:55 PM

Over the weekend I made this recipe but, put it the crock pot. I added a bit of Corn Starch for the last cooking hour to thicken up the sauce. It was delicious, I even brought the leftovers to work and they all loved it too.

October 14, 2008 at 5:16 PM

I suspected it might not reduce in volume enough to thicken in a slow cooker like it does in the oven. Glad you enjoyed it.

Barry.

October 21, 2008 at 12:36 AM

Made the stew tonight. Very yummy! Thanks for the recipe!
KE

March 29, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I would substitute turnip to replace parsnip. In my opinion when parsnip is cooked with anything else, it's all about the parsnip because parsnip has such an overwhelming flavour. I always cook parsnip alone if serving with a meal. Just sayin'! (smile)