Low Fat Baked General Tso Chicken

Tuesday, March 31, 200948comments

Low Fat Baked General Tso Chicken
Low Fat Baked General Tso Chicken
This sweet and spicy chicken is one of my favorite things to find at a good Chinese buffet and I sometimes make this lower fat version at home using baked chicken pieces instead of deep fried. Most people who have tried it say they would not have been able to tell that it was not deep fried. This recipe works well with baked chicken wings as well, some would say even better!

• 2 -3 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut in strips
  • 1 egg + 2 tbsp water whisked together to make an egg wash

Combine

• 1 cup flour
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 3 tbsp ground ginger
  • 2 tsp salt

Dip the chicken pieces in the egg wash then dredge them in the flour mixture. Place on a lightly oiled baking sheet and lightly drizzle or the tops with a little more olive oil. Bake at 375 degrees F for about 25-3o minutes. Flip the pieces at half way through the cooking time.

While the chicken is baking, prepare your sauce. Don’t walk away from this sauce; it gets very hot when making the caramel base and can burn easily so pay careful attention while cooking it.

In a small bowl, mix together

• 4 tbsp soya sauce
  • 4 tbsp rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar is fine in a pinch)
  • ¼ cup water
  • 2 tbsp toasted sesame seed oil
  • 2 tbsp hot chilli paste or sauce (use more or less to taste if you don’t like it very hot)
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp corn starch
  • 3 cloves minced garlic
  • 3 tbsp freshly grated ginger

Set this mixture aside

In a medium saucepan boil together

• 1 cup sugar
  • ¼ cup water

Boil this over medium heat, watching constantly until the caramel starts to turn a light amber color and you can begin to smell the caramel. When it reaches this stage, give the other ingredients in the bowl a quick stir to make sure the corn starch is dissolved then add it all at once to the hot caramel. (Careful: This mixture is very hot!)

Be careful at this stage because this sauce can foam up considerably for a few seconds and it is very hot. Simmer for only few minutes and remove from the heat and allow to cool down slightly.

Toss the sauce with the cooked chicken pieces and serve over plain steamed rice.

Low Fat Baked General Tso Chicken
Low Fat Baked General Tso Chicken

December 13, 2010 at 11:49 AM

This recipe is amazing! The fresh ginger really makes it taster fresh, and it does taste better than fried chicken. I stir fried some broccoli and added to it as well. :)

January 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM

As I was missing this American "Chinese" dish desperately in Switzerland where I live, this fully satisfied me to the point of yelling "this is IT" in my house. I also added broccoli and sesame seeds to the sauce like my local fav restaurant in Boston did. Thanks -Michelle

February 28, 2011 at 9:22 PM

This was delicious! I have a stomach problem that keeps me from eating a lot of my favorite foods if they are fried, and this was the perfect solution!

Nancy M., Cranford NJ
February 11, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I made this and my picky husband and son loved it. Will make again.

Noëlle, Dartmouth NS
February 29, 2012 at 8:51 AM

I've been eying this recipe for a month and so I'm giving it a try tomorrow. The ingredients are all pantry staples and this is my favorite Chinese dish with the exception of Singapore Noodles. If you can find me, or create for me a terrific recipe for those little darlin's then by golly I'll truly call you the kitchen God:)

March 1, 2012 at 10:05 PM

This was ridiculously awesome! Never ordering it out again.

Paulette
March 2, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Can hardly wait to try it~~(^_^)

March 2, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Singapore noodles......my mostest favourite!!!!! Please find us a recipe!!!!

March 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Does it really call for 2tbs of sesame oil, that seems an awful lot as it has quite a strong flavour.

March 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Where can i get chili paste? Looked in my local market and none to be found!

March 12, 2012 at 10:23 PM

This looks amazing! I know my bunch would love this! Im going to have to add it to our meal plan for this week!

March 26, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Try the Asian markets.

March 26, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I like the flavor but yes it is quite strong. Feel free to start with a lower amount.

March 29, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I used sambal olek as my chili paste, and my this was delicious. The baked chicken makes a huge difference. Usually recipes require you to fry in a pan. At my first attempt I scorched the caramel, but the second attempt I succeeded. It was good.

April 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

This is the best. I may never get takeout again it's so awesome. Thank you!!! I, too, added broccoli and sesame seeds. The chicken comes out perfect and the sauce is better than the Chinese restaurants serve.

April 20, 2012 at 7:24 PM

I can't wait to try this. It is rare to hear of people liking a baked one as well as a fried one. Its on my list! Thanks!

April 29, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Walmart carries it. Sirachi sauce. Its in a clear bottle and has a picture of a rooster on the front.

June 20, 2012 at 9:14 PM

I am 12 years old and have a mother who is kind of super healthy. She does not often let me make things like this but since the chicken isn't fried she is totally fine with the recipe.I LOVE to take on some challenging recipes so I am super excited to try this out with my mom. Thanks!!

June 23, 2012 at 3:18 PM

This is great. Left out the eggwash and the sesame oilas BF is allergic to both and substituted rice flour. It was still amazing.

June 23, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Made this for dinner tonight, absolutely loved it my only complaint would be that I had enough sauce for all my chicken but not enough for extra glaze on top of the rice!

Will definitely make again and maybe make more of the sauce.

June 25, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Does anyone know the calorie count and other nutritional facts for this recipe?

July 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Hi Barry, I found this recipe on Pinterest and made it for dinner last night - DELICIOUS! Thank you. I have bookmarked your blog and look forward to checking in regularly - especially if all your food is as good as this one recipe :-)

September 18, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Just wondering if anyone figured out how much per serving the calories are and how many servings this makes. I did make it though and it was excellent!!

September 19, 2012 at 8:36 PM

For some reason my caramel didn't really come out- it was looking great at first, but just as it seemed like it was going to start to brown, instead it sort of dried up, and it was like the sugar wasn't even melted. Does anyone know why this happened?

September 20, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I had trouble with the caramel stuff. Made it twice and both times cooked it too long almost to the hard candy stage. The third time I mixed the sugar and water and all the other ingredients plus an extra tbsp of cornstarch. Then I boiled it for a little over a minute, stirring constantly, and let it cool. It wa the right consistency and tasted great. I really like this recipe except I just couldn't get the caramel stuff right but my modification worked just fine.

September 24, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Made this last night- it was awesome!! I think my sauce was a teensy bit watery, but I'll definitely, definitely be making this again as a part of our regular monthly meals.

September 27, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Thank you so much for posting this! I made this for my husband for his birthday. He has soy, wheat, and peanut allergies and can no longer eat Chinese, and he was missing it terribly. With the discovery of Coconut Amino and some rice flour I was able to produce a safe version for him that tasted great!

sandybug
October 3, 2012 at 9:27 PM

I made this recipe using stevia in place of sugar and it was crazy good with a fraction of the carbs.

October 10, 2012 at 9:11 PM

This was spicy & delicious! I think I did something wrong, though because my sauce was runny too, not glazelike. I will make again!

December 12, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I had a challenge with the caramel sauce as well. The water evaporated and left me with dried sugar. I added more water twice, and then more sugar. It still didn't turn to caramel and made more of a sugar sauce than a sticky sauce. Any ideas?

December 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Sounds to me like you are boiling this too fast on too high a heat setting. Try simmering it at a lower setting. Don't stir the caramel, this can cause crystallization.

January 10, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I made this tonight. I added a bit of Mirin so it had a touch of sweetness, and while it was pretty spicy it was GOOD! My family and I are all foodies (the kids are 10 and 13)...we crave big flavor and this fit the bill! I expected the sauce to thicken a bit more but it did not. I suspect next time I will add a cornstarch slurry. But we all liked it! Thanks for the recipe!

January 12, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I really liked this recipe! I might use a little less fresh ginger in the sauce next time but overall this one is a keeper.

January 12, 2013 at 10:35 PM

This was yummy!

January 15, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yum, made this and we loved it! I personally could have used more ginger and garlic but that's just my personal taste.

January 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM

is there anything I can use as a substitute for the rice wine vinegar? I have regular white vinegar, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, white wine, or chicken broth.

January 28, 2013 at 6:27 PM

I'd substitute the white vinegar
or red wine vinegar.

February 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

This is delish! I made it as written but added broccoli (definitely recommend doing this). I had some trouble getting the sauce to thicken - even after some more cornstarch and water to thicken it. but either way its SOOOO good!

I made this foes dinner one night this week and it was fantastic!!!!! Thanks for sharing this recipe.

February 21, 2013 at 6:59 PM

I used half the sugar and water called for in the caramel step and it was still great.

March 27, 2013 at 11:38 PM

This chicken looks awesome. I love the General Tso from the Chinese restaurant down the street but find it to be too greasy. A baked version would be much healthier:)

April 10, 2013 at 2:54 PM

I made this last weekend and my family loved it. My husband liked it so much he went to work talking about it and they all want the recipe. Thanks!

May 15, 2013 at 2:45 AM

Ok, this looks amazing and I want to try it, but I have a clarification. I know I'm going to sound stupid, but does it truly call for "soya" sauce or is it really soy sauce with a typo? I'm new to Asian ingredients, so I didn't know. Thanks!
~Marysue

May 15, 2013 at 2:23 PM

it is indeed soy sauce.

November 23, 2013 at 10:49 PM

This was very good! I added bell peppers to mine. Next time I am going to nix the ginger and use a different oil in the hope that I can make it taste more like my favorite restaurant's.

November 28, 2013 at 4:15 PM

This recipe was so easy and tasted awesome. Pan fried some prawns and tossed with this sauce. This is a keeper.Rock Recipes, rock.

February 6, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Hi any suggestions what to use in place of chili paste? I have all the ingredients except the chili paste... They never had it at the grocery store I went to and I never had time to go to another one!! Really want to cook this tonight!! Looks YUM YUM!!

February 7, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Chili flakes will do. Just use less.