Soft Molasses Cookies or Giant Jam-Jams

3/4 cup butter
1 egg
1/2 cup molasses
2 & 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Chill dough for several hours or overnight before rolling out the dough on a well floured board and cutting out 3 inch circles. Cut a ½ inch circle out of half of the rolled out cookies. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet at 350 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes. While the cookies are still hot, spoon onto the middle of the bottom halves:

1 tbsp partridgeberry apple jam per cookie (or your favorite jelly)

Use the cookies with the circle cut-outs as the tops of the sandwich cookies. Return to the oven for 3 minutes. This step helps the jam to stick better but you an just cool them and put them together cold too, but they tend to be a little messier. Cool on a wire rack.

Alternatively, you can just roll the dough into 1 inch balls, roll the balls in plain sugar and bake them on a parchment lined cookie sheet for about 12 minutes at 350 degrees F. You can make sandwich cookies out of them or serve them just as they are.

June 12, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Oh my gracious Barry I made these for an auction sale we were having here in town as a fundraiser and they were a HUGE hit! My hubby was upset that I didn't leave any home. Soo yummy, and such a great recipe!

Carol
July 7, 2010 at 9:07 PM

I am interested in something similar, I was looking to make a respberry pie but I need the recipe for the molasses pie crust!!! HELP, HELP....

December 6, 2010 at 12:02 AM

I made these yesterday but I added some ginger, mace and cinnamon. I made the ball rolled in sugar version but they didn't spread out very much. After the first batch I sort of flattened them out which worked better. They're very tasty and just the kind of cookie I like, soft and chewy!

December 22, 2010 at 4:26 PM

I made this recipe as a thumbprint jam cookie. I rolled the dough into balls, rolled them in sugar and a bit of cinnamon, used my pointer finger to make an imprint about half the depth of the ball, and then filled the hole with strawberry jam. Soooo delicious! I've tried lots of other molasses cookie recipes and this is by far the best! Oh, I also added a 1/4tsp of ginger to the dough. Happy baking!

Heather
December 22, 2010 at 7:41 PM

How many cookies does this recipe yield? I'm a Newfie in Calgary for Christmas... I bet these would be a hit at a Christmas Day party!

December 15, 2011 at 3:53 PM

THANK YOU for posting this recipe!! I've been wanting to make this for my mom's hubby as he loves Jam Jams and to the best of my knowledge you can't find them in ON - here's hoping they turn out for me!!! :)