Prince William's Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Thursday, April 28, 20119comments

Prince William's Chocolate Biscuit Cake
Add caption
I went for a stroll downtown with the kids a couple of days ago when we came up with the idea to make Prince William's groom's cake which he has requested be served at the wedding reception.  Apparently, this easy no-bake refrigerator cake is a childhood indulgence of his and a particular favorite of the entire royal family. With this idea in mind, we dropped into Fat Nanny's grocery store on Duckworth Street, where I procured the necessary Lyle's golden syrup and a large sleeve of McVities original digestive biscuits. Both Lyle's and McVities are venerable brands in the UK, which adds a little extra authenticity to the recipe on this occasion.

Golden syrup is a little difficult to come by in these parts, so I would use dark corn syrup as a substitute and of course, any brand of digestive biscuits will do. Dark chocolate is the way to go with this recipe but you can mix semisweet and dark chocolate if you like the chocolate flavor to be a little lighter. I've also read numerous versions of this recipe online that include such ingredients as dried cherries, roasted nuts and one ingredient I might just try the next time I make this...broken Crunchie bars! There's lots of room for experimentation with this recipe, so go discover your own favorite version.

2 pounds dark chocolate, roughly chopped (about 50% cocoa)
1 pound unsalted butter
pinch salt
1/4 cup whipping cream
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 pound digestive biscuits, broken by hand into postage stamp sized pieces

Melt the butter over medium low heat. Add the chocolate and salt and continue over medium low heat until the chocolate is fully melted. Remove from heat and stir in the whipping cream and golden syrup until smooth. Fold in the broken biscuits and pour into a 9 inch springform pan that has been lined with plastic wrap or parchment paper. Chill in the fridge for at least 3 hours or overnight. Remove from pan and glaze with chocolate ganache.

Chocolate Ganache

1/2 cup whipping cream
1 tbsp corn syrup
8 ounces dark chocolate chopped

Scald the cream in the microwave until almost boiling. Pour over chocolate in a small bowl and let stand for five minutes. Stir until smooth then stir in the corn syrup. Pour over the cooled biscuit cake using a spatula to help cover it evenly.

Prince William's Chocolate Biscuit Cake

April 30, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Amazing! We've done the same chocolate biscuit cake to celebrate the royal wedding! Have a great weekend, Giorgia & Cyril

May 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM

Mmm... this looks yum. Luckily I have a tin of golden syrup just waiting to be used. I think I might try this with chopped hazelnuts, or I might go with your idea and use crunchies. That would be delicious! :)

May 2, 2011 at 11:30 AM

Hi Debbie. Toasted Hazelnuts would be awesome in it! Thanks for reading, Barry.

September 29, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Love this post, here in Australia this is a hedgehog (slice) and you can buy it in every bakery across the continent. We have it thinner like a slice, but otherwise it's the same - hazelnuts are excellent in this and are kind of expected now over here.
Golden Syrup is also on the shelf in every supermarket, and we make it with a plain sweet biscuit.

October 25, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Hi!
My friend made this cake yesterday and today it was hard like a stone. She couldn't even cut it. The knife just could't go through the cake, as she tried to put a knife in a hot water for a few seconds.
She followed every possible step you wrote in this recipe but still something went wrong.
Could you tell me what kind of consistency was your cake and maybe tell me what she did wrong?
Thank you in advance for the answer.
Best wishes from Serbia.
Gordana & Radmila

December 19, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Hi, Can you tell me what a digestive biscuits would be in America?

December 31, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Hi, to the person wanting to know about the Digestive Biscuits in the U.S., you can get them at Cost Plus World Market

Or from Amazon.com.

May 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

in the US I get our Digestives from Ocean State Job Lot. (they also have Hobnobs!) Sometimes Christmas Tree Stores have Digestives. I would think Cadbury dark chocolate Fingers would be good too. Christmas Tree Stores seems to always have those.

July 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM

Just made it and it is to die for........delicious!