Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones

Wednesday, February 1, 201231comments

Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones
Raspberry and White Chocolate Scones

My sister texted me from the ski slopes in Jasper, Alberta to rave about a white chocolate and raspberry scone that she had found there. It sounded pretty darn good to me and as regular readers of Rock Recipes know, I am very fond of all things scone related, so how could I not try to invent a version of my own.

I made this batch early yesterday morning and once again shared them, fresh out of the oven, with the folks in my office, where they literally went like hot cakes. My co-workers absolutely loved these scones, with many declaring them the best scones they'd ever eaten. Let's see if you agree.

I start these in my food processor because it is so fast but they can be made just as easily in a large bowl by cutting the butter in with a pastry blender or even 2 knifes held between the fingers.

In a food processor, combine:
3 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
6 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt

Cut in:

¾ cup very cold butter, cubed

Pulse process until this mixture resembles a coarse meal. It is very important that pea sized pieces of butter remain in this mixture. Remove to a large bowl and toss in:

6 ounces good quality chopped white chocolate

Mix together:

2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk

Pour this over the surface of the dry mixture. Toss all together gently with a fork only enough to form a dough ball. When the flour is almost incorporated, add
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
Frozen berries work best because they are less delicate and easier to incorporate into the scone dough It is important that you work this dough as little as possible or the finished scones will be too dense and heavy. Roll to 1 inch thickness and cut out scones with biscuit cutter or in triangles with a sharp knife and place on parchment lined baking sheet.

If desired you can brush the tops of the scones with an egg wash of 1 egg beaten together with 1 tbsp water. You can sprinkle the tops with turbinado sugar if desired but this is, of course, optional.

Bake at 375 degrees F for 25 minutes or until light golden brown. Baking time will vary depending on the size of your biscuit cutter. This recipe makes 8 large scones or about 18 smaller scones as pictured above..

February 2, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Absolutely tempting wil definitely try this..hey thanks I tried your vanila bean/yellow cake for my daughter's Myraz birthday..it turned out perfect..did your marshmallow frosting and color it blue. I named the cake. Blue Ocean Vanilla Cake...great!!!and thanks for sharing

February 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Ah these scones must be so delicious.

February 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM

I've been trying to convert myself from a scone-hater to a scone-lover (I made macadamia nut kumquat scones on my site recently). I think I'll give this recipe a try too, I won't give up! :)

February 3, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Does it matter what kind of butter should be used, salted/unsalted?

February 3, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Use what you like, Brenda. Where I live it's sort of traditional to use salted butter in baking. I usually don't add additional salt to the recipe when using it though. Happy baking, Barry.

February 4, 2012 at 1:09 PM

First had these in Calgary, based on the taste and texture I thought I'd give them a whirl without a recipe; Turned out good; your recipe gives me some good tips! thanx

February 4, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Thanks! They are so good!

February 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I'm planning to make these for a brunch we are hosting. However, I'd like to make these ahead of time and bake them on the morning of the event. Do you think that it will work to prepare everything through cutting out the scones and placing on a baking sheet if I refrigerate them overnight?

February 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Hello ! I'm Portuguese and I am already a fan of your scones :P. Sorry for my english, it's not perfect.
I have a doubt...I don't have a food processor, can I do the first step with a mixer?
Thanks.

February 12, 2012 at 6:01 AM

no. Just use two knives as the recipe suggests.

February 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Love the recipe and they looked amazing before going into the oven ... then the raspberry juice leaked out and burned the bottoms of all of them and left me an oven filled with smoke. Good news is the tops taste good. Any tips on preventing burning? I used parchment ...

February 20, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Probably the pan you are using that may carry heat to quickly or your oven temp is off. Try decreasing the temperature and using an aluminum cookie sheet.

February 25, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Is 6 teaspoons of baking powder correct? That seems like so much!

February 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM

6 tsp is correct. It makes them rise more quickly so that they are lighter than many scone recipes I've tried.

February 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Thanks very much! I'm trying them this morning.

March 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM

love these scones. i've made them 4-5 times already. i'm wondering if you have any tips to help me. i've had a problem with them spreading out a lot. i keep the butter cold and the berries frozen. i also dont let the extra scones sit out while the first batch bakes. but they still spread. any help for me? thanks!

March 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I'd crowd them closer together and place them side by side almost touching or you could add another couple of tbsp offlour.

April 7, 2012 at 4:58 PM

So thrilled I found this recipe on Pinterest. I buy similar scones at our local farmers market. The only difference is they are White Chocolate raspberry cheesecake scones. What do you think you would mix together to make cheesecake chunks/bits to add to this recipe? Thanks

April 23, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I have the same question as a previous poster - can I prepare the mix the night before, refrigerate and then bake the next day?

Janelle
May 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I bet you could add cream cheese to make them "cheesecake-y"..just a thought. I don't know how to incorporate that into the recipe though.

May 10, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Love, love, love this recipe. They are super tasty and your directions are easy to follow. Good job!

February 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM

How many does this recipe make?

February 16, 2013 at 12:36 PM

As written in the recipe, "This recipe makes 8 large scones or about 18 smaller scones as pictured above."

March 1, 2013 at 11:07 PM

This was my first time making scones (I was so nervous!). I grated frozen butter instead of "cutting" it in. My mixture was super wet, but I was worried about adding flour. They spread out quite a bit, but were delicious. Thanks for the recipe! -Karen

April 9, 2013 at 11:27 PM

I tried these a couple months ago. It was my first ever attempt at homemade scones. They. Were. DELICIOUS.

May 4, 2013 at 2:23 AM

There isn't any egg in this recipe?

May 4, 2013 at 7:18 AM

No there isn't Joanne, I find it makes them lighter without egg.

July 5, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Can I double this recipe?

July 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Doubling the recipe shouldn't be a problem. You will need a very big bowl!

July 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM

I have tried this recipe twice and both times they turned out flat and floating in butter? HELP

July 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM

That's odd. What kind of butter are you using?