|Bourbon Balls...or Rum Balls...or Brandy Balls...or...|
- 2 3/4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
- 1 cup toasted, roughly chopped hazelnuts
- 1 cup icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 4 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp dark corn syrup or honey
- 1 cup bourbon (or other favorite spirit)
Mix together well and roll into 1 inch balls. Place the balls on a parchment lined cookie sheet as you form them and chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
When balls are fully chilled, in a double boiler melt:
- 12- 16 ounces of good chocolate
Do not let the chocolate overheat. Melt it very gently over slowly simmering water. You want the chocolate just at its melting point before you dip the bourbon balls. Higher temperatures can cause the chocolate to develop white spots when it's fully cooled. Keep the chocolate over the hot water even when you remove it from the stove. I simply use two forks to roll the balls around in the chocolate one at a time; the fork also allows excess chocolate to drip easy away. Drop onto a parchment or waxed paper lined cookie sheet and let the chocolate cool at room temperature. Store the balls in an airtight container.