Sweet Mustard and Bacon Potato Salad

Tuesday, May 7, 20136comments

Sweet Mustard and Bacon Potato Salad
Sweet Mustard and Bacon Potato Salad

This recipe was inspired by a couple of different potato salads that I combined into one and then borrowed the dressing from a third recipe, a sweet mustard sauce that we often served with cold cuts and potato salad as a kid. It makes a great take-along item to potlucks and makes a great addition to summer picnics, cookouts or barbeques. As one reader noted, "You can't have too many potato salad recipes!"

• 3 pounds washed, unpeeled red potatoes, diced large

Simmer the diced potatoes slowly in boiling salted water just until fork tender. Do not overcook the potatoes or they will fall apart in the salad.

Drain the potatoes and scatter them on cookie sheet to cool quickly. I usually put the cookie sheet in the fridge for a half hour or so to cool off completely.

Mix together:

• 1/2 cup jarred salad dressing
  • 1/4 cup plain yellow mustard
  • 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 3 tbsp white sugar
  • 1 small red pepper, diced small
  • 2 tbsp minced red onion
  • 3 tbsp chopped capers
  • 3 tbsp chopped cilantro (or parsley)
  • 8 slices smoked bacon, cooked crisp and roughly chopped
  • 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
  • pinch salt

Pour the dressing over the cold potatoes and toss well. Store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to serve.

Dawn
May 7, 2013 at 11:31 AM

What jarred salad dressing did you use - I'm in South Africa and I really want to make this but I'm not sure about the salad dressing? french, greek, italian?? or mayonaise??
Please Help!!
Dawn

May 7, 2013 at 2:45 PM

*Dawn* I believe they mean like mayonnaise .

May 8, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Miracle Whip, not Mayo.

May 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

In case, like me, you can't get Miracle Whip wherer you are (I had never even heard of it) I found this recipe for making it yourself http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-miracle-whip-41781 Hope that helps!

Dawn
May 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help me.
This weekend I will be making my own Miracle Whip and trying this awesome looking salad.
Once again - THANKS

May 11, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I love this. I think you have created a great recipe which gathers all good elements. It almost has all my favorite ingredients in it. I am just thinking to substitute the vinegar with lime juice or lemon juice and the sugar with honey. I love honey in salad. :)