|Apple Pecan Cornbread Stuffing|
Apple Pecan Cornbread Stuffing
An old fashioned baked cornbread stuffing, with the added deliciousness of thyme, pecans and apples.Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: About 1 hour including baking time for the cornbread.
Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: About 8-10 servings
- 4 -5 cups large cornbread cubes
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 egg
- 2 diced apples
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme (or oregano)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1 large onion, diced small
- 1 stalk celery, diced small (optional)
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- pinch salt
- To Prepare the CORNBREAD
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or milk soured with 1-2 tbsp lemon juice)
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8x8 inch baking dish well with butter.
- Heat the olive oil in a saute pan and add the garlic, onions and celery. Cook just until the onions have softened but not browned.
- Toss the cooked onion mixture with the cornbread cubes, apples, thyme, salt, pepper and melted butter.
- Place the cornbread mixture evenly into the greased baking dish.
- Whisk together the eggs and chicken or vegetable stock well and pour evenly over the cornbread mixture.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- To prepare the cornbread, sift together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Add the eggs and milk and beat together until smooth.
- Pour batter into a well greased 9x9 baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.