|Oven Baked Southern Fried Chicken Wings with Orange Honey Drizzle|
The inspiration for these tantalizing wings comes from a habit of drizzling honey on take out fried chicken. When it comes to fried chicken the Colonel is not king here in Newfoundland, we are reigned by Queen Mary. Mary Brown's fried chicken is a franchise that started here and is now expanding across the country. The seasoning on their product is much lighter than many other fried chicken chains and even as a kid I enjoyed it a drizzle of golden honey to compliment the crunchy, succulent pieces.
As the number of recipes for them on this website will attest, I do love some great wings and when trying to come up with a way to pay homage to orange chicken in wing form, I thought of my love for honey on fried chicken. Why not infuse the honey with the orange and impart the flavor that way? Some friends were dropping by for sips and nibbles so I got my chance to try it out.
The result was fantastic! All the flavors worked together so well and once again only empty platters remained. I recommend drizzling the platter as you serve it to your guests and leaving a little ug or gravy boat of the citrus infused honey on the side for those who'd like more. You'll have them salivating before they take the first bite.
These wings as pictured, were oven baked but if you prefer to deep fry them that's perfectly fine. I'd give them about 20 minutes at 350 degrees F, depending on the size of the wings you're using.
Oven Baked Southern Fried Chicken Wings with Orange Honey Drizzle
Crispy, oven baked Southern fried wings drizzled with orange infused honey.Prep time: Aproximately 20 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
Yield: 3 - 4 pounds wings
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt (plus more to season wings)
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 3 - 4 lbs chicken wings
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- zest of 1/2 large orange, finely grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour with the salt, pepper and all of the herbs and spices
- Coat the bottom of a cookie sheet or large baking pan with the canola oil.
- Whisk together the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Season the wings with salt.
- One at a time, dip the chicken wings in the flour and herb/spice mix, then quickly into the egg wash and back into the flour dredge again.
- Place the coated chicken wings in the pan and lightly spray the tops with canola oil from a spray bottle.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked, golden brown and crispy, turning at least once during the cooking time.
- Add the honey and orange zest to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for only a minute then remove from the heat.
- Drizzle the wings with the orange honey when serving.